In the early 1930s the then owner of Stratford Park G.F.Ormerod died leaving provisions for the park in his will. Ormerod wished to ensure that the people of Stroud could enjoy this parkland permanently. Following these wishes, Ormerod’s executors offered to sell the Stratford Park estate to Stroud Urban District Council (the predecessor organization to Stroud District Council). Accordingly, in June 1935 the land (56 acres) was sold to the Council to become a public park. The following year, 1936 saw the opening of the outdoor swimming pool and the Stratford Park bowling green, and it currently has a mixed leisure use. The park contains Grade II listed structures such as bridges and gates.